Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

My Updated Planner Cover


So, in my last post, I mentioned that I had a plan for the cover of my DIY planner.  I kind of liked my original cover, but I love my new one!  

I fell in love with the polka dot tape after I had put it on the "binding" of my planner, so I decided I had to make it the main attraction. 

I covered the entire binder with the polka dot tape & then added hot pink tape as the "binding".  But I thought it needed more, so I decided to give it the stitched look.


Here's a close-up look at the stitching:


After I got everything taped, I added some tape pockets to the inside.  Then, I went around the whole thing with a paper piercer & poked holes for my stitching.  About midway through the stitching process, I decided I also wanted a strap closure.  For the strap, I took 2 pieces of tape & stuck them together.  Then I folded the ends & sides in; this made a narrower strap & gave it a finished, even look. On the part of the strap that wraps up to the front cover of the binder I added a magnet & put tape over it to disguise it.  I then pierced the strap & stitched it to match the rest of the binder, then I stitched it to the binder.  After the strap was attached, I finished the rest of the stitching.


When I taped the cover of the binder, I hadn't yet thought of a magnetic closure.  So, the only way to disguise it was to wrap it in the polka dot tape & super glue it to the front cover.

BTW, I couldn't find any magnets in the small town nearest to us, so going down the $1 aisle of a local grocery store, I found a 2 pack of the little magnetic boxes you use to store a spare key on your vehicle.  I brought them home & took the magnets out.  Even though they're a little thicker than I was hoping to find, I'm really happy with them!  They are super strong & they only cost 50¢ each!


Here are the inside pockets I made. All I did here was stick the tape to a piece of scrap fabric I had.  Looking at them now I wish I had stitched the edges of the pockets so it would look like a hem... ah, hindsight.  The pockets are each the same size, so the polka dot pocket stops just under the opening of the pink pocket.  Again, looking back I wish I'd made the polka dot pocket go all the way to the left edge, but I was afraid it would be too deep.


Here is the back pocket:


As you can see, the stitching doesn't look nearly as cute from the inside.  I'm definitely not a seamstress!  I'm sure there's a stitch that I could've used that would've looked good on both sides, but I'm still really happy with the way it turned out!!!

In case you're wondering, this is what is living in that front pocket:


This is a tiny composition book that I picked up at Dollar General in a pack of 3 for $1.  I took some index card divider tabs that I had laying around & glued (using a glue runner) them to every other page.  This is where I will write down all of my passwords (probably hints, actually) so I can keep track of them.  I'm going to be making a bill paying binder also, so this might actually end up living in it.  I will probably end up decorating the cover sometime.

So, that's it, my updated binder cover!  I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out & this is how it will stay.

*************************

Here are some of the specifics, in case you're curious:

I didn't time myself or do the stitching in one setting.  But if I had to guess, I would say it took 3-4 hours total, including the piercing.

The stitching is actually serving a purpose, it's not just for looks.  I did adhere the pockets to the inside of the binder with double sided tape, but the stitching reinforces them.  The strap (on the back) is the same way.

For the stitching, I used a very large needle & embroidery floss.  I also needed a thimble from time to time.

*************************

I hope you enjoyed my process!  I'll try to keep you updated with the many changes my binder will (surely) go through!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment